Monday, December 21, 2009

The nature of Prana

What is this prana that I talk about that constantly moves in my head ?
What is it that moves from the middle of the foot, kicks off the base of the spine and flows upwards towards the brain via the spine ?
What is it that when focussed upon or mediated upon holds your breath and gives Kevala Kumbhaka?
What is it that is behind the mind yet driven by the mind?

The prana has its source in the heart. As soon as I get up in the morning, there is some prana - very minimal prana in the head. Hence, in the morning - I dont have much problems in doing any thing. However, as time picks up there is more accumulation of prana in the head. Prana is in the spiritual heart at the right side of the chest. When we wake up, the very stretching makes this prana move away from the heart and distribute to the body so that it can activate all the organs & sense organs. Prana rules the sense organs and hence it is called Indra ( rule over Indriyas). Similarly, I have experienced that as we sleep the prana moves into the heart back. Hence, the source of prana is the heart. I know that it makes its way down from the brain, through the neck to the heart. But what happens after is something which is not known to me.

The modern science is looking for a God particle. But I feel the godliness is the life itself - the prana out of which everything emerges.However, Prana is not a particle but a wave. It is the wind with intelligence. It doesnt move when you blow air but has its own will. It can't be seen with naked eyes but can be experienced similar to air. Prana tightens my brain, makes rotations inside the brain etc. Thus only by the effect the source prana can be known.

What is the structure of prana ?
Prana is wind. It is a wave. It has light. Hence, Prana is light but a wave. The structure of Prana is similar to the plastic sheet that is held in the collars of shirts as support in malls. Imagine, this plastic sheet moving with sharp edges and corners. This is Prana. It is light yet transparent and can move. The sharp edges work myriad on the brain. I don't know exactly as to what it is doing on the brain. But it works on the outer surface at times, on the inner most or the central part at times. Once when I was sitting in a class listening to a lecture, it cut something inside my brain and this made me blacked out for 3s. The Prana is the most subtle, all doing, ever active, most dynamic life force. It works and works, works so hard on the brain.

1 comment: